[m-dev.] declarative programming guide

Mark Brown mark at mercurylang.org
Mon Mar 20 15:12:11 AEDT 2023

Hi all,

I've been collecting notes from teaching people at work about
declarative programming, and formatting as a guide book (attached).
Could this go on the Mercury documentation page somewhere?

It's not a tutorial, at least not one aimed at learning Mercury - it
assumes a practical ability to program already - so I'm not sure where
it would best fit.

YesLogic has agreed to release the source, so I'll commit the latex to
the "book" repository - contributions are welcome. The front page is
formatted so as to allow authors to be added, though I'm not sure if
anyone is willing and able to take that hint!

There's a few philosophical points made about declarative programming
which might be contentious, so criticism will be appreciated if anyone
has the time to review.

Also, I've given what I think is a defensible declarative semantics
for both semidet functions and exceptions, which I don't think Mercury
had before. That might be of particular interest to devs.

Cheers,
Mark

PS. spellcheck insists that I meant book depository...