[m-dev.] declarative programming guide

Julien Fischer jfischer at opturion.com
Tue Mar 21 10:28:08 AEDT 2023

Hi Mark,

On Mon, 20 Mar 2023, Mark Brown wrote:

> I've been collecting notes from teaching people at work about
> declarative programming, and formatting as a guide book (attached).
> Could this go on the Mercury documentation page somewhere?

Sure. It might be worth us cleaning up the documentation page, at least
to the extent of distinguishing the official docmentation from tutorials
and alike. (The official documentation seems to be getting pushed
further and further down the page.)

> It's not a tutorial, at least not one aimed at learning Mercury - it
> assumes a practical ability to program already - so I'm not sure where
> it would best fit.

I would group it with the tutorials for now; there's not exactly a
great multitude of documents there ...

> YesLogic has agreed to release the source, so I'll commit the latex to
> the "book" repository - contributions are welcome. The front page is
> formatted so as to allow authors to be added, though I'm not sure if
> anyone is willing and able to take that hint!
>
> There's a few philosophical points made about declarative programming
> which might be contentious, so criticism will be appreciated if anyone
> has the time to review.

I skimmed through it on the way home the other night, but haven't had
time to read it in detail yet.

Julien.