[m-dev.] Github issue #116: missing library .int0 files

Julien Fischer jfischer at opturion.com
Fri Mar 17 15:51:50 AEDT 2023

Hi all,

In Github issue #116, we have the posix binding from the extras being
built and installed with --no-intermod-opt. The private interface for
the posix module (posix.int0) is not installed in this case.  A test
program is then compiled against the installed version of the posix
library with --intermod-opt enabled. This then fails due to the compiler
being unable to find the file posix.int0.

I think this is likely a bug since we should support compiling programs
with --intermodule-optimization even if some of their dependent
libraries are built and installed without it. (It's presumably why the
--warn-missing-opt-files option exists.)

Presumably what is happening here is that because the test program is
being compiled with --intermodule-optimization, the compiler decides
that it needs the .opt files.  Since it needs the .opt files it also
needs the .int0 files, regardless of whether the .opt files are actually
present or not.

I think the simplest way to deal with this would be to always install
library .int0 files regardless of whether intemodule optimzation is
enabled.

Opinions?

Julien.