[m-users.] An interaction with ChatGPTs "Code Copilot"

Zoltan Somogyi zoltan.somogyi at runbox.com
Sat Jun 29 16:31:32 AEST 2024

On 2024-06-28 23:27 +10:00 AEST, "Anders Lundstedt" <mercury-users at anderslundstedt.se> wrote:
> (To avoid a future dead URL in the mailing list archives, I tried
> saving the above URL with the archive.org Wayback Machine, but it
> seems that does not work.)

I am afraid I have to say that for many people, including me,
the link is *already* effectively a dead link.

LLMs cannot ever be trustworthy assistants to programmers,
for exactly the reason Richard described: they do not even *try*
to understand the texts they scan. I know enough about the
variouts subfields of AI to have known this since the hype
started around LLMs. I therefore have neither a copilot
account, nor any desire to get one, and I don't want to get
on any mailing lists about them either, which is why my
response to the sign-in request that you get at the link
you posted was to close the browser tab.

You may want to check out the email thread started by this post

  https://lists.mercurylang.org/archives/users/2023-October/010224.html

which turned to be about an LLM confidently sprouting incorrect info
about Mercury.

Zoltan.