[m-users.] An interaction with ChatGPTs "Code Copilot"

Richard O'Keefe raoknz at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 11:24:23 AEST 2024

I can assure you that ChatGPT's advice about Smalltalk (which is
arguably more "mainstream" than Mercury) has little to commend it.
There's actually a book out there on using AI in programming which has
an appendix listing three sample sessions solving problems
in basic probability.  Two of them are right.  One of them, with a
wealth of convincing detail, is drastically wrong.  The author(s) of
the
book completely failed to notice.  ChatGPT is not really an Artificial
Intelligence system.  Large Language Models are *Information
Retrieval* systems.  Give them a cue and they regurgitate stuff, but
they have no actual *understanding* of what they mash up and
spit out.  If other people often have your problem, you may be in luck.