[mercury-users] Ouch! The .m extension and Objective-C

Roy Ward roy at videoscript.com
Sat Aug 18 09:52:06 AEST 2001

Hi all,

I'm in the possibly unusual situation of being someone
who deveops in both Mercury and Objective-C (just
starting on Objective-C). As you may know, there is
an extension conflict here. (I'm not using them in the
same project yet, but I can see wanting to do that one
day - Objective-C with cocoa is suitable for front ends
and Mercury is great for engines).

Given that I don't think I stand any hope of convincing
all the objective-C tools to use a more sensible
extension (thus leaving the .m extension to Mercury where
it so obviously belongs ;-), has anyone done any work
on munging Mercury to use another extension?

I've included a post from Tue Oct 05 1999 from
Fergus Henderson, is it still relevant, and has anyone
looked at doing this?

[Aside - this the sort of reason that I don't like
filename extensions in the first place - but I imagine
that getting Mercury or GNU tools to work with Apple
type/creator codes is an even bigger ask]

Looking forward to having Mercury and Objective-C
behaving nicely on my MacOSX box.

Cheers,
Roy Ward.