[mercury-users] MCORBA woes

Tyson Dowd trd at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Nov 2 18:43:32 AEDT 2000

On 01-Nov-2000, William Lee Irwin III <wli at holomorphy.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to try out MCORBA, and I'm running across a few troubles:
>
> First, a bizarre grade has appeared:
>
> MERCURY_C_COMPILER=g++ ml --make-shared-lib --grade asm_fast.par.gc \
> 		-o libcorba.so corba.pic_o omniorb.pic_o \
> 		-lomniORB2 -lomnithread -lpthread
>
> This of course results in
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmer_std
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[1]: *** [libcorba.so] Error 1

You now need to install Mercury with asm_fast.par.gc for MCORBA to work.
omniorb has gone drastically multi-threaded and so you need the
threading support that is in the asm_fast.par.gc grade.

To install asm_fast.par.gc, you run

	mmake install LIBGRADES=asm_fast.par.gc

from the top level of the Mercury source.

> Next, I try to mmake GRADE=asm_fast.gc and errors such as:
>
> corba_parser.m:1514: Syntax error at token ':=': operator or `.' expected.
> corba_parser.m:296: In clause for predicate `corba_parser:parse/3':
> corba_parser.m:296:   error: undefined symbol `^/2'.
>
> occur. I believe they're due to ^/2 in module int shadowing the field
> access and update operators.
>
> I thought I had a CVS build of mercury (built last week)... what's
> going on here? Do I need an earlier version, or is CVS not the way
> to go, or am I doing something else wrong?

Are you sure you have installed the CVS build of Mercury and you are
using it?  It looks like an earlier version is in your path (e.g.
something many months old -- possibly 0.9.1).

I just downloaded MCORBA 0.3 and built it just fine using
Mercury Compiler, version rotd-2000-11-02, configured for i686-pc-linux-gnu
so my first guess is that your installation is a problem, but let me
know if it appears OK and we can look into it further.

--
       Tyson Dowd           #
                            #  Surreal humour isn't everyone's cup of fur.