[mercury-users] "What do you think about Mercury ?"

Thomas Conway conway at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Aug 19 14:05:31 AEST 1999

On Tue, Aug 17, 1999 at 05:59:48PM EST, Marko Schuetz wrote:
> I also wish mercury was lazy by default. Also, having used Haskell for
> quite some time now, the syntax does not allow the same conciseness
> that I am used to and like. It seems that Curry/PACS is addressing
> these points, although I wonder why they didn't use mercury instead of
> sicstus prolog. Can anyone enlighten me?

They make use of coroutining in SICStus. More to the point,
curry has big problems because it has nondeterministic functions
which means that f(X) in one place might not have the same value
as f(X) in another place. :-( There are other problems too, but
I can't remember them off the top of my head.

Thomas
--
 Thomas Conway )O+     Every sword has two edges.
     Mercurian            <conway at cs.mu.oz.au>