[mercury-users] "What do you think about Mercury ?"

Marko Schuetz marko at ki.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
Thu Aug 19 23:03:46 AEST 1999

>>>>> "Thomas" == Thomas Conway <conway at cs.mu.OZ.AU> writes:

Thomas> On Tue, Aug 17, 1999 at 05:59:48PM EST, Marko Schuetz wrote:
>> I also wish mercury was lazy by default. Also, having used Haskell for
>> quite some time now, the syntax does not allow the same conciseness
>> that I am used to and like. It seems that Curry/PACS is addressing
>> these points, although I wonder why they didn't use mercury instead of
>> sicstus prolog. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thomas> They make use of coroutining in SICStus. More to the point,
Thomas> curry has big problems because it has nondeterministic functions
Thomas> which means that f(X) in one place might not have the same value
Thomas> as f(X) in another place. :-( There are other problems too, but
Thomas> I can't remember them off the top of my head.

        A. Kutzner, M. Schmidt-Schauß,
        "A Non-Deterministic Call-by-Need Lambda Calculus" (.ps), (.ps.gz),
        International Conference on Functional Programming 1998, ACM
        Press (available at
        http://www.ki.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de/papers/schaussbib.html)

does address some of the issues involved in providing a theoretical
foundation for non-deterministic functional languages. It does not
address logical variables and IO though.

Marko
Marko Schütz            marko at cs.uni-frankfurt.de
http://www.ki.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de/~marko/