[mercury-users] "What do you think about Mercury ?"

Marko Schuetz marko at ki.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
Tue Aug 17 17:59:48 AEST 1999

Tyson> On 17-Aug-1999, Issarlk <issarlk at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>> > - What weaknesses/drawbacks do you find in Mercury ?
>> I wish mercury was lazy instead of being strict. (note : I don't know if
>> this makes sense for a logic + functional programming language).

Tyson> You might want to look in the extras distribution for the "lazy"
Tyson> code.  This is an abstract data type for doing lazy evaluation.
Tyson> It doesn't make Mercury lazy, but allows you to be explicitly
Tyson> lazy in Mercury.

I also wish mercury was lazy by default. Also, having used Haskell for
quite some time now, the syntax does not allow the same conciseness
that I am used to and like. It seems that Curry/PACS is addressing
these points, although I wonder why they didn't use mercury instead of
sicstus prolog. Can anyone enlighten me?

Marko

Marko Schütz            marko at cs.uni-frankfurt.de
http://www.ki.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de/~marko/