[m-users.] Error in building mercury 20.06.1

Julien Fischer jfischer at opturion.com
Sun May 2 12:35:46 AEST 2021

Hi Stephen

On Sat, 1 May 2021, Stephen Brady wrote:

> I'm new to Mercury and so am just building for the first time. I'm trying to build version 20.06.1 using the tar
> ball distribution.
>
> I'm getting the following error during make install:
>
> mercury_memory_zones.c:390:5: error: use of undeclared identifier 'MR_CPU_SFENCE'
>     MR_CPU_SFENCE;
>
> I'm building on an M1 Mac, so I'm wondering if this is an issue, directly or indirectly?

In this case, very much directly. I fixed that bug on April 13, so
you'll need to use one of the recent ROTDs not 20.06.01.
However, see below ...

> Rest of the environment:
> macOS Big Sur 11.2.3
>
> XCode v. 12.5
>
> gcc --version redirects to clang (as usual) and yields:
> Apple clang version 12.0.0 (clang-1200.0.32.29)
> Target: arm64-apple-darwin20.3.0
> Thread model: posix

It's possible to get a working Mecury installation on M1 based
Macs but for now you'll need to jump through a few extra hoops.
If you want to the steps are here:

    1. Unpack the source distribution as normal.

    2. In the top-level of the Mercury distribution, create a file
    named Mmake.params and put the following in it:

         EXTRA_CFLAGS = -O0

    3. Build and install as per the instructions.

The result should work, although it hasn't been extensively tested.

Julien.