[m-users.] Error in building mercury 20.06.1

Zoltan Somogyi zoltan.somogyi at runbox.com
Sun May 2 05:17:08 AEST 2021

On Sat, 1 May 2021 11:54:33 -0700, Stephen Brady <stephen at fac.tt> wrote:
> I'm new to Mercury and so am just building for the first time. I'm trying
> to build version 20.06.1 using the tar ball distribution.
>
> I'm getting the following error during make install:
>
> mercury_memory_zones.c:390:5: error: use of undeclared identifier
> 'MR_CPU_SFENCE'
>     MR_CPU_SFENCE;
>
> I'm building on an M1 Mac, so I'm wondering if this is an issue, directly
> or indirectly?

I am not our Mac expert, but I would say that yes, this is an issue.
Wikipedia says that the M1 chip surfaced in November of 2020;
Mercury version 20.06 came out in June of 2020. It stands to reason
that it has no support for M1. And the MR_CPU_SFENCE macro
is one that has to be defined separately for every chip/OS combination.

In fact, I do not believe we support M1 chips even now, since
I don't think any of the Mercury developers own an M1 Mac.

Unless someone pops up and tells us both that I am wrong, I would
try to compile Mercury to x86-64 code, and then rely on Rosetta.

Zoltan.