[m-users.] Parallel Mercury

Julien Fischer jfischer at opturion.com
Tue Nov 29 12:15:06 AEDT 2016

On Tue, 29 Nov 2016, Paul Bone wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 11:43:36AM +1100, Julien Fischer wrote:
>>
>> Hi Paul,

>>> To the best of my memory, it worked with our tests so far, but it had not
>>> been tested widely.
>>
>> It's not going to be tested widely if nobody knows it exists.  I suggest
>> we at least publicly document it (perhaps marking it as experimental).
>>
>> '--control-granularity' and '--implicit-parallelism' are also options
>> that those experimenting with parallel conjuction should be aware
>> (although they are at least documented).
>
> I don't remeber exactly what --control-granularity does, it may have been
> relevant to Jerome's work which mine replaced wholesale.

Jeromes' work is controlled by the '--distance-granularity' option.
'--control-granularity' was implemented by Zoltan, and does the
following:

      Find every parallel conjunction G1 & G2 & G3 & ... & Gn in the given
      module, and replace it with a goal that tests at runtime whether there
      are enough free CPUs to make parallel execution worthwhile, and if not,
      executes the conjunction sequentially instead.

Julien.