[m-users.] Compiler trouble

Julien Fischer jfischer at opturion.com
Mon Aug 8 10:36:30 AEST 2016

Hi,

On Sun, 7 Aug 2016, Noah Scott Goldman wrote:

> Thanks for all your suggestions, but unfortunately, no dice. I have
> checked the directory in Windows Explorer as well and there is
> definitely no executable file after I run the compiler. Also, running
> it with the option --no-restricted-command-line still produces
> nothing.

Do either of the following work?

     mmc hello

or
     mmc --no-restricted-command-line hello

> Is there anything else I can do? This is really puzzling me. What's
> even weirder: I tried running
>
> > mercury --make --verbose hello > compile_try.txt
>
> to see if the verbose command-line output might help you guys diagnose
> my issue, but the file compile_try.txt it produced was blank, even
> though the actual output was definitely NOT blank.

The verbose output goes to standard error, not standard out, so you
need to redirect the former, e.g.

     mercury --make --verbose hello 2> compile_try.txt

> I am completely stumped. Maybe there's something wrong with my
> computer.

I suspect the issue is due to a problem with the way the Mercury
compiler is interacting with one or more of the Visual studio tools
(e.g. cl or lib).  Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce the problme on my
system (Windows 7, VS2013).

Julien.