[m-users.] Mercury presentation next Thursday

Paul Bone paul at bone.id.au
Wed Mar 25 11:47:47 AEDT 2015

I will be talking about Mercury at the next Melbourne Functional Users Group
on the 2nd of April.

    Paul Bone will be introducing Mercury; a pure declarative
    logic/functional language, it looks like Prolog but feels like (strict)
    Haskell. Mercury's strong type system, mode system and determinism
    system make it very different from Prolog. Meanwhile strict evaluation
    and logic programming features make it quite different from Haskell. In
    this presentation we will see how mode and determinism systems work
    together to create a declaratively pure logic programming language.  We
    will also explore some cool features that can be added to a pure
    language: declarative debugging and automatic parallelisation.

    Paul has been working with Mercury for 8 years. He joined the project as
    part of his Honours work at Melbourne Uni and continued working on the
    topic of automatic parallelisation for his Ph.D. Since 2012 Paul has
    been working with Mercury in commercial programming environments.

When: 6pm Thursday April 2nd.
Where: Thoughtworks Office Melbourne.

Booking and further details:

http://www.meetup.com/Melbourne-Functional-User-Group-MFUG/events/219525274/