[m-users.] mmc option parallel

Peter Schachte schachte at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Mar 16 20:55:20 AEDT 2015

On 16/03/2015 7:29 pm, Paul Bone wrote:
> I thought that the compiler should provide a script that will install
> a new grade. If the compiler finds that a library grade isn't
> installed then it prompts the user to contact their administrator or
> run "sudo mercury-install-another-grade"

That's not very friendly for people who aren't their own system
administrators.  It may take weeks for a sysad to get around to it.
Besides, you know what's going to happen:  after the new grade is added,
you'll start trying to build again, discover some dependency you forgot,
and suddenly you need *another* grade.  If that means an extra minute of
compilation that time, you might curse; if it means having to run
another sudo command which takes a minute, you might curse twice;  if it
means waiting another month for the sysad to get around installing
something else, you'll probably give up.

--
Peter Schachte            History teaches us that men and nations behave
University of Melbourne   wisely once they have exhausted all other