[mercury-users] best practices for packaging libraries

Peter Wang novalazy at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 11:18:03 AEST 2012

On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 15:00:52 -0600, Michael Hendricks <michael at ndrix.org> wrote:
> I've written a few small Mercury libraries that might be useful to the
> broader Mercury community.  Many languages have a central repository or
> standard packaging guidelines for libraries (Perl's CPAN, Ruby's Gems,
> Haskell's Hackage, etc).  Are there similar guidelines from the Mercury
> community?  What can I do as a library author to make my library easy to
> find and reuse?

The old answer is to put it in mercury-extras.  That wouldn't scale but
that's not a problem we have.

Ondrej started this a few years ago: http://manarchive.sourceforge.net/

Some years ago I made changes to mmc --make to make it easier to use
libraries installed to a common location.  Never used it.
Using 3rd party modules is easiest by building as part of the current
project, either by simply copying the module (often you need to
customise anyway) or referencing it with mmc -f.
I guess the only complication is if the module requires certain options
or libraries.  You could provide a snippet of Mercury.options to be
included into the user's Mercury.options?

Peter