[mercury-users] CVS install not working

Peter Wang novalazy at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 19:19:34 AEDT 2008

On 2008-03-18, Ben Mellor <cumber at netspace.net.au> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm a new honours student at Melbourne University, going to be working
> on the mercury system for my honours project.
>
> I'm having some trouble doing a CVS install of mercury on my laptop.
>
> I've installed mercury-rotd-2008-03-13, and that seems to have gone
> fine.
>
> Next, following the instructions at
> http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/research/mercury/information/developers/remote_cvs.html,
> I've checked out the mercury, mercury-gcc, and tests modules (not sure
> whether or not I actually need the mercury-gcc one or not), so I have:
>
> ~/mercury/devel/mercury
> ~/mercury/devel/mercury-gcc
> ~/mercury/devel/tests

`tests' should be inside the `mercury' directory.  There is some support for
having `tests' outside in the bootcheck script, but I believe that is all.  You
don't need mercury-gcc.

> Then I enter ~/mercury/devel/mercury and run ./INSTALL_CVS. It does
> stuff for a couple of hours, then fails. The tail of the log looks like:

INSTALL_CVS does a bootcheck which is too slow.  For working on Mercury,
I do this:

    cvs co mercury
    cd mercury
    cvs co tests
    vim Mmake.params
    autoconf
    ./configure --prefix=/somewhere
    mmake depend && mmake -j2

Often you won't need to install at all, but if you need to:

    mmake -j2 install LIBGRADES=

You can add grades to LIBGRADES instead of leaving it blank.

> unexpected test case failures:
> +
> cat /home/cumber/mercury/devel/mercury/../tests/UNEXPECTED_FAILED_TESTS
> debugger/completion debugger/nondet_stack
> debugger/queens
> debugger/synth_attr
> debugger/synth_attr_impure
> debugger/user_event
> debugger/user_event_shallow
> hard_coded/intermod_unused_args
> tabling/fib_stats
> tabling/specified_stats
> term/pl8_4_2
> term/vangelder
> warnings/arg_order_rearrangment

Currently those are failing on the nightly tests as well (at least in
some grades).

Peter