[mercury-users] Current grade recommendations?

Ondrej Bojar bojar at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Thu May 17 11:21:21 AEST 2007

Julien Fischer wrote:
>> Is there somewhere a summary of the current status of support for
>> various compilation grades?
>
> What do you mean by support?

My impression was that e.g. Java grade is rather experimental. (But I have never
tried it, so I just might be wrong and it works fine.)

> I would be interested in seeing this code if that is possible.

I'm wrapping the beast for you, it'll take a while.

> (Have you tried profiling the hlc.gc version to see where it is spending
> all of its time?)

No, not yet.

> For hlc.gc and asm_fast.gc the question of which grade performs
> better varies depending upon your program.  For example, the compiler is
> marginally faster in hlc.gc (at least it was last I checked), other
> applications are faster in asm_fast.gc.

I usually compile in asm_fast.gc, but a simpler program recently showed a
marginal speedup in hlc.gc. That's why I started experimenting.

Thanks for the details, O.

--
Ondrej Bojar (mailto:obo at cuni.cz / bojar at ufal.mff.cuni.cz)
http://www.cuni.cz/~obo