[mercury-users] Current grade recommendations?

Julien Fischer juliensf at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Wed May 16 16:40:31 AEST 2007

On Wed, 16 May 2007, Ondrej Bojar wrote:

> Is there somewhere a summary of the current status of support for various
> compilation grades?

What do you mean by support?

> I was surprised to see that (rotd-2007-03-07) asm_fast.gc takes 20 minutes
> for a beam search while hlc.gc takes 5 hours. I did not play around with all
> the possible optimizations, so this is basically the default.

I would be interested in seeing this code if that is possible.
(Have you tried profiling the hlc.gc version to see where it is spending
all of its time?)

> I think a summary somewhere (e.g.
> http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/research/mercury/backends.html) would be very useful.

What you're really concerned about here is not the support for various
grades (we support most of them), but the relative performance between
grades.  For hlc.gc and asm_fast.gc the question of which grade performs
better varies depending upon your program.  For example, the compiler is
marginally faster in hlc.gc (at least it was last I checked), other
applications are faster in asm_fast.gc.

Julien.