[mercury-users] Mercury Anarchive proposal

Ondrej Bojar bojar at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Fri Mar 2 09:57:04 AEDT 2007

Marcos Dumay de Medeiros wrote:
> I know You've already set it up, and may want to ignore me, but there it goes:
>
>> - has the Manarchive to adopt a specific copyright policy to be useful for
>>    you?
>
> Yep. It should contain only free software, or it should be easy get warnings
> for non-free software.
> Also, it should be easy to discover the licence from the package name, even
> better if I can search packages from licence. Probably, the person who
> creates the package defines the licence, but it would be nice to have some
> mechanism to change it latter.

As I told you, I'm not good at understanding exact licensing restrictions.
Sourceforge needed to specify licenses Manarchive is available under. So I put
there LGPL + Artistic.
(On one of the project summary pages, only the LGPL was printed, on most of
them, it displays it correctly.)

I have not mentioned the licenses in the READMEs and the manager so far is
does not handle licenses for individual packages. Surely, this can be added.

Could you help me adding a package-based licensing scheme? In principle, this
ought to be easy:

:- type license ---> lgpl; artistic; ... wish more?... .

and each package's README.term would contain the list of licenses applicable
to this package.

Changing the license of a package would be just changing the README.term.

Ondrej.