[mercury-users] Mercury IL and Managed C++

Peter Ross pro at missioncriticalit.com
Thu Nov 17 22:48:44 AEDT 2005

On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 10:04:01PM +1100, Jonathan Morgan wrote:
> Peter Ross wrote:
> > > I notice that, after I use mmc --make --grade il in the samples
> directory,
> > > the Mercury directory has a few new directories, including ils, cpps,
> and
> > > css.  Are these only for use if the MC++ and C# foreign language
> interfaces
> > > are used, or will they require a MC++ (Microsoft) compiler to build
> > > regardless of whether you have any MC++ code in the actual Mercury code?
> > >
> > If no you have no MC++ code, then the MS C++ compiler will never be
> > called, so yes the directory will remain empty.
>
> Yes, from the sequence it seems that the MC++ compiler is not called.
> However, the cpps directory is filled with module__cpp_code.cpp, and the css
> directory is filled with module__csharp_code.cs.  I presume, however, that
> this is just template code and does not get used unless you use either the
> C# or MC++ backends, as you say.

It's a long time since I've used the IL backend, I'm glad to hear it
still works, but yes I think we do output both of those wrappers if the
file contains any pragma foreign_* stuff.

If you don't  mind me asking, what are you planning to do with Mercury?
And why you need the IL backend?

It is still a goal of mine to improve the support of both the IL and
java backends, but unfortunately our current projects at work don't
require them.

Pete