[mercury-users] Term manipulations in Mercury -- advice requested

Ralph Becket rafe at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Jul 1 11:11:56 AEST 2004

Gregory D. Weber, Wednesday, 30 June 2004:

> I'm happy to report that I've completed a "toy" version of the rule learning
> system in Mercury which works, a sort of "proof of concept" system.
> Now I'll be working (with enhanced confidence) on the real thing.

Good to hear that.

> The most difficult conceptual hurdles for me were understanding how
> types and modes work for higher-order predicates and functions.

Unfortunately the mode system is a little cumbersome for higher order
programming.  A major improvement was making functions with
`(in, in, ..., in) = out is det' modes the same as ground.  This way you
can at least program in an ordinary functional style without having to
worry about complicated modes.

One day we'll get a PhD student to look for a simple solution to the
general problem :-)

-- Ralph