[mercury-users] Make, environment and linking in cygwin1.dll [was: Wow! It worked on Mingw]

Douglas Auclair dauclair at msn.com
Tue Feb 11 08:49:34 AEDT 2003

Dear Fergus, et al,

The mingw system is now even better!  But there are still issues,
particularly with linking in cygwin1.dll.  MERCURY_MATH_LIB is set in 'ml'
line 1064 (if I'm not mistaken, it's not an environment variable).  When I
set it to the empty string, I still get the dependency on cygwin1.dll.
Asking for make spewage (using --verbose and --debug-make) shows no -lm
linkage.  What next?

mmc --make <module> is now working ... it seems like all the symbolic links
got turned into (real) directories when I unzipped the mingw port, so
converting ints/ and module_deps/ and other dirs to symbolic links solved
that problem.  This could be my problem in that I used WinZip, but perhaps a
warning in the installation instructions might help others avoid this
problem (if WinZip is the problem).

I find it troubling that the Mercury system expects certain things to be at
certain places (e.g. mercury_compile must be at (or be symbolically linked
to) /usr/local/<version>/bin/<architecture>/).  For example, some operating
systems discourage the use of /usr/local at all (I think Debian is one of
them, but I'm not sure).  Is it difficult to allow the installation of the
Mercury system anywhere, say, where MERCURY_HOME is pointing (where
MERCURY_HOME defaults to /usr/local/<version>)?  It is troubling to me, but
not at all a show-stopper:  I enjoy developing systems in Mercury and will
continue to do so whereever it's installed.

Thanks again to the entire team for producing such a useful system
developement tool.

Sincerely,
Doug Auclair