[mercury-users] Problem installing with grade java

Holger Krug hkrug at rationalizer.com
Fri Jul 13 03:18:44 AEST 2001

> One of the things that is missing is support for `make install'.
>
> The specific error that you got is because it is trying to compile the
> Mercury runtime in the "java" grade.  But for the "java" grade, we use
> the JVM's runtime, plus some java code in the "java" subdirectory, not
> the C code in the "runtime" subdirectory.  So you don't need to install
> the normal Mercury runtime in the "java" grade.
>
> The Mercury library does need to be built and installed in the "java" grade.

Thank you. The "java" subdirectory was not included in the 0.10.1. I'm now
going to try it with rotd-2001-06-26, where a "java" subdirectory exists.

> However, another of the things that is missing is support for the Mercury
> standard library; many of the procedures (e.g. `io__write_string')
> are implemented as C code using the C standard library, and for the
> Java back-end these need to be implemented as Java code using the Java
> standard library.

That's clear, it's not yet Christmas time for Mercury users.  If we
get the clue how to do it, we could add library functionality in a
step by step approach, as we need it in our projects. I've not yet
looked at the code, so please excuse the following question: How is it
done, using pragmas "java-code" similar as for C (I would be
surprised), or in what other way ?

> Currently no-one is actively working on improving the Java back-end.
> Finishing it off still requires a fair amount of work.
> But I'd certainly encourage anyone who is keen on it to go ahead,
> I'd be happy to offer advice on how to proceed.

Would be nice.

--
Holger Krug
hkrug at rationalizer.com