[mercury-users] Problem installing with grade java

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Jul 13 02:37:45 AEST 2001

On 12-Jul-2001, Holger Krug <hkrug at rationalizer.com> wrote:
> I tried to install Mercury with grade java enabled, but got an error.
> Can anybody help me to get Mercury's Java support installed ?

The main problem is that the Java support is not yet complete.
We hired a student to work on it over the summer break,
but he didn't manage to complete the job.

See compiler/mlds_to_java.m for a list of what has been done
and what hasn't.

One of the things that is missing is support for `make install'.

The specific error that you got is because it is trying to compile the
Mercury runtime in the "java" grade.  But for the "java" grade, we use
the JVM's runtime, plus some java code in the "java" subdirectory, not
the C code in the "runtime" subdirectory.  So you don't need to install
the normal Mercury runtime in the "java" grade.

The Mercury library does need to be built and installed in the "java" grade.
However, another of the things that is missing is support for the Mercury
standard library; many of the procedures (e.g. `io__write_string')
are implemented as C code using the C standard library, and for the
Java back-end these need to be implemented as Java code using the Java
standard library.

Currently no-one is actively working on improving the Java back-end.
Finishing it off still requires a fair amount of work.
But I'd certainly encourage anyone who is keen on it to go ahead,
I'd be happy to offer advice on how to proceed.

Cheers,
	Fergus.