[mercury-users] Mercury mailing lists

Peter Ross peter.ross at miscrit.be
Tue Feb 27 20:12:55 AEDT 2001

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 08:00:10PM +1100, Fergus Henderson wrote:
> The volume of conference announcements, call-for-papers, job ads, and
> the like on the mercury-users mailing list has increased over time.
> So I propose creating a new list called say "mercury-ads", for these
> kind of advertisments that might be of interest to Mercury users.
> That should hopefully increase the signal-to-noise ratio on
> the mercury-users list.  To keep the status quo, everyone who is
> currently subscribed to mercury-users would also by default be
> subscribed to mercury-ads, but those who are not interested
> in receiving such ads could unsubscribe.
>
> Also, quite a bit of interesting discussion about Mercury takes
> place on the mercury-developers mailing list, but that list is
> a very high volume list, mostly because we post all our changes
> and code reviews there.  I propose that we split that list into two,
> by creating a new list called say `mercury-patches', for posting diffs
> of actual changes, and reviews of those diffs, while leaving the
> existing `mercury-developers' list for general discussion, e.g.
> about proposed new features, future directions, and so forth.
>
> So, what do you think of this plan?
> Do those suggestions sound like good ideas?

I don't see the point of creating the mercury-ads mailing list unless
people have been complaining about receiving the announcements.  I
personally don't mind them.

However I do like the idea of seperating mercury-developers into
mercury-patches, if only because it would make searching the archives a
little bit easier.

Pete