[mercury-users] Mercury mailing lists

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Feb 27 20:00:10 AEDT 2001

The volume of conference announcements, call-for-papers, job ads, and
the like on the mercury-users mailing list has increased over time.
So I propose creating a new list called say "mercury-ads", for these
kind of advertisments that might be of interest to Mercury users.
That should hopefully increase the signal-to-noise ratio on
the mercury-users list.  To keep the status quo, everyone who is
currently subscribed to mercury-users would also by default be
subscribed to mercury-ads, but those who are not interested
in receiving such ads could unsubscribe.

Also, quite a bit of interesting discussion about Mercury takes
place on the mercury-developers mailing list, but that list is
a very high volume list, mostly because we post all our changes
and code reviews there.  I propose that we split that list into two,
by creating a new list called say `mercury-patches', for posting diffs
of actual changes, and reviews of those diffs, while leaving the
existing `mercury-developers' list for general discussion, e.g.
about proposed new features, future directions, and so forth.

So, what do you think of this plan?
Do those suggestions sound like good ideas?