[mercury-users] Hints on Optimisation

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Sat Oct 9 13:39:58 AEST 1999

On 08-Oct-1999, Ralph Becket <rbeck at microsoft.com> wrote:
> > If there is only a single constructor with a single field, then the
> > compiler will not use a boxed representation.  But apart from that,
> > the compiler currently does not do any unboxing optimizations as such.
>
> Are there any plans to add this sort of optimisation (as opposed to `maybe,
> at some point in the unplanned future')?

We (the Mercury group here at the University of Melbourne) have discussed
those kinds of optimizations in the past.  But we don't have any immediate
plans for implementing them.

One of the difficulties is that many of these kind of transformations are
often a win but sometimes a loss, and it's hard for the compiler to figure
out when the transformation is going to be a loss.