[mercury-users] Hints on Optimisation

Peter Ross petdr at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Oct 8 23:11:51 AEST 1999

On 08-Oct-1999, Ralph Becket <rbeck at microsoft.com> wrote:
> > If there is only a single constructor with a single field, then the
> > compiler will not use a boxed representation.  But apart from that,
> > the compiler currently does not do any unboxing optimizations as such.
>
> Are there any plans to add this sort of optimisation (as opposed to `maybe,
> at some point in the unplanned future')?

One optimisation that I have been thinking about doing is the explicit
expansion of single data constructor and multiple fields, into each of
the individual fields, and then running unused argument elimination to
get rid of the unecessary fields.  I assume this is what you want.

However when I will get around to it, I am not sure.

> This kind of optimisation seems aimed at singly-threaded objects, so can
> I assume that once nested unique modes get sorted out this will become
> less of a problem, thanks to update-in-place?

Pete