[mercury-users] socket support in io

Michael Day mikeday at corplink.com.au
Sun Oct 3 18:02:05 AEST 1999

> We'd certainly appreciate bug reports for that kind of thing;
> we can forward them to the gcc maintainers if appropriate,
> and we can often include work-arounds in future releases of the
> Mercury implementation, so that other Mercury users don't have to
> deal with the same problem.

Right sorry, I'll be upgrading Mercury version again over the next few
weeks and submit a bug report then if pain persists.

> 	- Move the library into sub-modules of a single module `std'
>
> 	- Make appropriate use of type-classes throughout the library
>
> 	- Move the RTTI stuff from std_util.m into a separate module
>
> 	- Add a hash table library (hash_map and perhaps also hash_set);
> 	  but this really requires getting nested unique modes to work first.

Well I like the sound of that, I must say. A standard library that
demonstrates how the language can be used to best advantage is always
nice.

> No, if anyone feels like starting work on version 2 of the standard
> library now, that would be great as far as I'm concerned.  Just make sure
> to let us know what you're doing via mercury-developers at cs.mu.oz.au;
> that way, we can offer feedback, advice, code reviews, and so forth,
> to ensure that the development proceeds in such a way that we'll all
> be happy with the end result.

Seems like many Mercury users would have similar needs where the standard
library is concerned, and be working on code of their own to compensate
for any gaps in the current library. That does not equate to a complete
and well designed standard library though, hmm. Anyone out there
(preferably more experienced in Mercury than I am) got their eye on
writing a new one? :)

Michael