[m-dev.] Branch for 20.06 release

Zoltan Somogyi zoltan.somogyi at runbox.com
Mon Jun 1 15:46:11 AEST 2020

> As it is now June we need to prepare the 20.06 stable release.
> I propose to create the release branch by June 14 at the latest and
> earlier if possible.  If anyone has upcoming work that they think
> ought to be part of 20.06 could you please let me know and give
> me a rough idea of when it will be committed.

As people may have gathered from my recent emails, I am working
on a change to get the compiler to always get type representation
information for a type from the .int file of the module that defines
that type. I hope to commit in the next week or two.

Once that is done, we could enable argument packing by default,
though I wouldn't want to put that into a release without substantial
real-world testing (a week at least). Implementing mini types would
take me about week of coding, and enabling them would also
require at least a week of real-world testing. If we enabled argument
packing *after* mini types are implemented, one week of real-world
testing could do double duty.

Realistically, if you want a feature freeze by june 14, then neither
getting type repns from .int files nor argument packing are likely
to get in under the wire.

Is there some particular reason you want this in by June 14?
Wouldn't a 20.07 release be just as good in terms of "two releases
a year"?

Zoltan.