[m-dev.] documenting typed insts

Zoltan Somogyi zoltan.somogyi at runbox.com
Tue Jan 7 20:10:13 AEDT 2020

On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 19:48:31 +1100 (AEDT), Julien Fischer <jfischer at opturion.com> wrote:
> 3. Since the intention is that insts will eventually be required to
> be typed, documenting the syntax etc. would allow users to begin making
> that transition now.
>
> Is there any documentation for this feature about?

No. The commit message says:

    There is no documentation of the new language extension yet, since it is
    not yet really useful. That would come later, when we check that an inst
    specified as for being for a specific type is used only on values
    of that type. We would also need to resolve the two issues marked with
    "XXX IFTC" in the diff.

I could add both an entry to NEWS and a paragraph or two to reference_manual.texi
about the feature saying only that it is intended to tell to *humans* what type
an inst is for, and that in the future we may check this automatically. For now,
the compiler does no such check.

Zoltan.