[m-dev.] [m-users.] Closed source Mercury projects on Windows

Mark Brown mark at mercurylang.org
Tue Jun 5 20:26:12 AEST 2018

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 5:04 PM, Peter Wang <novalazy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Regarding "this distribution": if I obtain a copy of the Mercury Core
> Libraries from an intermediary (e.g. a Linux distribution), is that the
> same distribution or a new distribution? If the latter, do we have to
> add anything to ensure the special exception extends to the
> re-distributed Mercury Core Libraries, or is clause 10 is enough?

I don't know; that might be a bit of a ship-of-Theseus question. But
generally when things are parallel licensed then the license or
licenses that came with your copy are the ones that apply. So the fact
that the exception has not been removed from the copy ought to be
enough, I think.

(See for example https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#HeardOtherLicense)

Mark