[m-dev.] [m-users.] Closed source Mercury projects on Windows

Peter Wang novalazy at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 17:04:25 AEST 2018

On Tue, 5 Jun 2018 15:50:36 +1000, Mark Brown <mark at mercurylang.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 3:08 PM, Peter Wang <novalazy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think we should retain the "in clause 6 of" part as it effectively
> > makes the license shorter and clearer: all of clause 6 is struck out
> > beginning at the words "provided that". Otherwise, the special exception
> > adds another clause to the license, that still must be understood in
> > whole. (My opinion only, of course.)
> >
> > One thing that hasn't been pointed out: the special exception in the
> > OCaml license does not apply to private modifications of the OCaml
> > Core System. In contrast, the exception as worded below would apply to
> > executables linked to private modifications of the Mercury Core Libraries,
> > correct?
>
> No, that's not the intent. It permits linking "with the Mercury Core
> Libraries", meaning the ones in this distribution. If you modify the
> libraries, which is different from linking, and which you can only do
> under clause 2 as far as I can see, then you still have to comply with
> all the conditions of that clause.

Of course, thanks.

Regarding "this distribution": if I obtain a copy of the Mercury Core
Libraries from an intermediary (e.g. a Linux distribution), is that the
same distribution or a new distribution? If the latter, do we have to
add anything to ensure the special exception extends to the
re-distributed Mercury Core Libraries, or is clause 10 is enough?

Peter