[m-dev.] Almost ready to merge the update_boehm branch

Paul Bone paul at bone.id.au
Thu Sep 24 17:45:18 AEST 2015

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 11:54:31AM +1000, Julien Fischer wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> On Wed, 23 Sep 2015, Paul Bone wrote:
>
> >I'm almost ready to merge the upgrade_boehm branch.
> >
> >Once it's merged you will need to use the prepare.sh script to prepare your
> >checkout before running configure (see below).
>
> When I last looked at this branch there seemed to be a bunch of new tool
> dependencies, for example libtool.  Is this still the case?  If so, what
> are the new dependencies?

I've fixed the other issues except libtool.  I have two options, neither is
great.

 + Commit generated files to git such as the configure script and Makefiles,
   note that that's the generated script, not configure.ac.

 + Attempt to generate these files, which ideally should only happen for
   people checking out from git, not the source distribution.  This adds the
   dependency of libtool.

So why this situation? what's different now that I'm updating boehm_gc?
Nothing, libatomic_ops has previously also depended on libtool.  We just
used to commit generated files to git/CVS in the libatomic_ops directory.
Maybe we made a decision to do this or maybe it was by accident.  I suspect
an accident because I try to avoid committing generated files.

So is it bad to depend on libtool for developers only?  This does not affect
anyone building from the source distribution.  Is it okay if we just call it
with glibtoolize or whatever you said it was called on, was it OS X?

Cheers.

--
Paul Bone