[m-dev.] stack segments as default

Julien Fischer jfischer at opturion.com
Fri Oct 23 13:43:35 AEDT 2015

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015, Zoltan Somogyi wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 10:42:46 +1100 (AEDT), Julien Fischer <jfischer at opturion.com> wrote:
>> * the "stseg" component is specified for all low-level C grades (not just
>>    the debugging and deep profiling ones).
>
> We currently denote the distinction between LLDS grades with
> and without stack segments in grade names by component names
> "" for no stack segments and ".stseg" for stack segments.
>
> I propose that we also allow something like ".nostseg"
> to also denote no stack segments. Then, after a transition period,
> we should switch the meaning of "" to mean stack segments,
> i.e. make stack segments the default.

I have no objection to making stack segments the default, but I would
prefer to avoid having grade components that represent the absence
of a feature.  I suggest that rather than ".nostseg" we have a component
that indicates the use of a fixed size stack, for example ".fixed_st"
or something along that line.

Julien.