[m-dev.] Hosting for Mercury downloads

Paul Bone paul at bone.id.au
Mon Oct 12 16:18:15 AEDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 11:21:37AM +1000, Paul Bone wrote:

> For reference the relevant hosting choices are:
>
>     Paul's server, shared with other things:
>         $45/6 months,
>         Bandwidth: there is a limit, I don't remember how it works.
>         6GB capacity, less than 1.5G free.
>         See http://prgmr.com
>         Easy to maintain, easy for Julian and I to work together.

I'm due to receive a free upgrade late October when the virtual machine is
migrated.  It'll go from 6GB storage to 24GB storage.

I promised to tally up the size of the old builds and releases:

    Releases:                       2.4GB
    Beta releases since 2012:       3.5GB
    ROTDs since 2012:               8.8GB
    ROTDs in the last 12 months:    4.2GB
    ROTDs in the last 6 months:     2.1GB

On the current server I have only 900MB free space (allowing a comfortable
margin for other filesystems).  So moving away from google cloud storage
before the upgrade isn't ideal.  But after the upgrade storing the
releases and last 6-12 months of ROTDs (or similar) will be no problem.

The only downside to using this server is that I'm hesitant to hand out root
access, so there's a human single point of failure.  This also affects the
website, e-mail, bugtracker etc, which all run on this system.  I'd like to
avoid this if I can.  So in the future I will consider moving my other stuff
off of this server so that it can be used for Mercury stuff only.

There is still the single point of failure that the account(s) for this
stuff are all under my name.  But that can't be avoided without a lot more
work (establishing a legal entity).

--
Paul Bone