[m-dev.] Next Mercury stable release

Michael Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 16:59:54 AEST 2012

On 8 August 2012 14:41, Julien Fischer <juliensf at csse.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Aug 2012, Julien Fischer wrote:
>
>  Unless there are any objections the next stable release will
>> be 12.08.  We will create the release branch for this release
>> on 12 August with the intention of releasing some time towards
>> the end of the month.
>>
>> If anyone has outstanding changes that they feel should go into
>> this release but won't be committed before the branch is created
>> please let me know.
>>

> There are few things that need to be mentioned in the NEWS file as well:
>
> * support for MinGW cross-compiling
> * the improvements in the handling of floats, e.g. unboxed floats
>   on 32-bit platforms, float registers etc
> * enumeration argument packing
> * the improvments in support for compiling large programs
>
> Also, it would probably be a good idea to include some of what Paul
> has been working on, e.g. the loop control stuff.  I'll leave it
> up to him as to what he would like to announce with this release.

Would it also be possible to have the language reference explain all of the
syntax that's in the public portions (i.e. interface portions) of the
standard library?  For example this code comes out of the docs for list:

:- promise all [A, B, C, ABC]
(
    ( some [AB] (list.append(A, B, AB), list.append(AB, C, ABC)) )
<=>
    ( some [BC] (list.append(B, C, BC), list.append(A, BC, ABC)) )
).

I can't find how that :- promise declaration is supposed to work.  It's
mentioned in the language reference at page 8 and by inference it's
supposed to be part of the module system (as it is worded there).  It
doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere else in the docs, though.