[m-dev.] Deep.data and Deep.procrep

Paul Bone pbone at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Wed Aug 4 13:30:12 AEST 2010

On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 02:52:42PM +1000, Peter Schachte wrote:
> On 03/08/10 13:57, Paul Bone wrote:
>
> > So I was chasing a crash in the automatic parallelism analysis that was caused
> > by using a different but similar Deep.procrep file.  What I would like is a way
> > for the analysis tools (including mdprof_cgi) to assert that the Deep.data and
> > Deep.procrep files match (where generated from the same executable) before
> > doing any processing.
>
> Assuming you're not really worried about someone going out of their way to
> mess this up, how about something much simpler, like writing the file
> modification time of the executable file generating these files into each of
> these files?  If you really want to be fussy, you could instead write a
> cryptographic hash of the executable file into both files, but I imagine the
> timestamp would be good enough.

Ah, I remember what I was going to ask in our meeting!

Zoltan, what's your oppionion on this?

I thought about Peter Schachte's suggestion.  To be able to open of fstat() the
executable file I'd need to search in the path for it based on the value of
argv[0].  I think that the easiest solution might be as Peter Wang suggested,
hash the program representation data.  This should have a negligible
computational time (as Peter Wang pointed out).

Thanks.