[m-dev.] Practical mmake

Peter Ross pro at missioncriticalit.com
Tue Jun 12 10:43:13 AEST 2007

On 6/11/07, Eric Taucher <gluon at earthlink.net> wrote:
> While I like working on modifying Mercury to work with Microsoft .NET 2.0,
> trying to figure out how to use mmake practically and efficiently is
> something that eludes me.
>

> If it is not too much to ask can some one show examples of the following
> mmake command lines?
>
> Installing only the asm_fast.gc grade as a bootstrap.

mmake install LIBGRADES=

> Installing a second grade using the bootstrap.

cd library; PATH=to_installed_compiler:$PATH mmake install LIBGRADES=grade

This will install the current grade, plus install the new grade.

> Installing only GRADE=il using the bootstrap.

see above.

> Building a default library.
> Building GRADE=<custom> library
> Building GRADE=il library
> Installing GRADE=<custom> library
> Installing GRADE=il library
> Building a specific module in the default grade.
> Installing a specific module in the default grade.
> Building a specific module with GRADE=il.
> Installing a specific module with GRADE=il.
>

> Why, when and how are dependencies to be made?

You need to rebuild the dependencies the first time you try and build
a library, or when you add or remove a file.

> Are there any conditions were make should be used instead of mmake?

mmake is just make, but where there has been some default Mercury
behaviour added, so you are just using make at the lowest level.

--
Peter Ross - Mission Critical Australia
AU: +61 424 651 834