[m-dev.] benchmarks for finite domain solvers with --generate-trail-ops-inline

Samrith UONG samuong at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 13:10:54 AEDT 2005

On 12/17/05, Samrith UONG <samuong at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Were those with --use-local-vars enabled? Some benchmarking I have been doing
> > > on my laptop indicates that we should enable --use-local-vars at the default
> > > optimization level; its cost in compilation time is cheap compared to the speed
> > > improvement it generates.
> > >

> > We'll look into --use-local-vars more closely next week.
> >

> I've just started building a new batch using --use-local-vars, and
> will have some results soon.

Julien and I have done some benchmarking and we've found that, at -O2,
--use-local-vars results in a 3.5% increase in speed and a 7% decrease
in size.  This is at a cost of 1.5% extra compilation time.

This suggests that we should move --use-local-vars to -O2.  I will
have a patch ready for review soon once the power is back on in ICT.

Regards,
Sam.