[m-dev.] benchmarks for finite domain solvers with --generate-trail-ops-inline

Samrith UONG samuong at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 17:37:57 AEDT 2005

On 12/17/05, Julien Fischer <juliensf at cs.mu.oz.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Zoltan Somogyi wrote:
>
> > >   This is consistent with the
> > > recent benchmarking that Samrith has been doing on the compiler, where hlc.gc
> > > and hl.gc have been consistently faster than asm_fast.gc.
> >
> > Were those with --use-local-vars enabled? Some benchmarking I have been doing
> > on my laptop indicates that we should enable --use-local-vars at the default
> > optimization level; its cost in compilation time is cheap compared to the speed
> > improvement it generates.
> >

> Some of the runs had --use-locals-vars enabled, some didn't.  The point of
> the initial series of benchmarks Samrith ran was to quantify what affect
> the existing optimization levels/grades had.
>
> We'll look into --use-local-vars more closely next week.

For those who are interested, I've included the output of
tools/speed_summary for the batch that Julien was referring to below.
It shows that both hlc.gc and hl.gc run slightly faster than
asm_fast.gc.

EXTRA_MCFLAGS =
GRADE = none.gc
mercury_compile.01 average of 6 with ignore=1     60.38
EXTRA_MCFLAGS =
GRADE = reg.gc
mercury_compile.02 average of 6 with ignore=1     60.74
EXTRA_MCFLAGS =
GRADE = asm_fast.gc
mercury_compile.03 average of 6 with ignore=1     22.37
EXTRA_MCFLAGS =
GRADE = hlc.gc
mercury_compile.04 average of 6 with ignore=1     21.91
EXTRA_MCFLAGS =
GRADE = hl.gc
mercury_compile.05 average of 6 with ignore=1     22.08
EXTRA_MCFLAGS =
GRADE = hlc.par.gc
mercury_compile.06 average of 6 with ignore=1     25.71
EXTRA_MCFLAGS =
GRADE = hl.par.gc
mercury_compile.07 average of 6 with ignore=1     25.36

I've just started building a new batch using --use-local-vars, and
will have some results soon.

Regards,
Sam.