[m-dev.] grade to be tested for release

Zoltan Somogyi zs at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Jul 22 17:46:11 AEST 2004

On 21-Jul-2004, Peter Hawkins <peter at hawkins.emu.id.au> wrote:
> easier to produce a fast, working compiler on weird architectures. In
> particular, I'd like the pre-generated C files included in the compiler
> package to be grade hlc.gc.

I don't see a problem with that.

> The lack of a debugger, etc. shouldn't matter - surely if you are debugging
> the compiler then you won't be working from the pre-compiled C files.

It doesn't matter with respect to what grade we use for the grade of the
sources we put into the source distribution or into rpms or debian packages.
However, if you make hlc.gc the default grade used by the installed compiler,
then users who suddenly find a need to use a debugger will have no option
but to recompile their entire program in a debug grade. Currently, with the
default grade being an LLDS grade (the best one of none/reg/asm_fast etc),
they can simply enable debugging on the relevant modules, which requires
much less recompilation.

Separating the two decisions shouldn't be difficult.

Zoltan.