[m-dev.] syntax proposals

Ralph Becket rafe at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Nov 8 11:23:07 AEDT 2001

Thomas Conway, Thursday,  8 November 2001:

> I would argue that this means that we got the module system
> syntax wrong, not the other way round. ML uses a single syntactic
> entity for module declarations, and it is nice.

Haskell fakes this out with the offside rule.  Let's not go there.

I really don't like having different syntax for saying pretty much the
same thing in different places.  Placing code and declarations in a
standard list is horrible (now you parenthesize, now you don't, etc.)
Apart from that, you do need some bracketing mechanism.  I rather liked
the [| ... |] idea, but then it was my suggestion :)

- Ralph