[m-dev.] mdev: how to inspect datastructures?

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Nov 23 23:33:00 AEDT 2000

On 23-Nov-2000, Nancy Mazur <Nancy.Mazur at cs.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote:
> Just a question, is there a way to inspect datastructures in
> a more intelligent way then really checking all the substructures
> using ls and cd within the browser?

Well, you can set the browser parameters so that it displays
more at one time (try `help set' in the browser).
But apart from that, no.

> PS: the typical thing I'd like to be able to do is to inspect
> a given list, and try to find out its length. I would love to
> be able to invoke something like list__length(HeadVar__1, L).
> Or am I missing something, and is this possible already?

Unfortunately not.

It wouldn't be too hard to implement, though.
We just need an option on the `query' command to make
the variables in the current scope available in the query.