[m-dev.] mdev: how to inspect datastructures?

Nancy Mazur Nancy.Mazur at cs.kuleuven.ac.be
Thu Nov 23 21:33:50 AEDT 2000

Hi,

Just a question, is there a way to inspect datastructures in
a more intelligent way then really checking all the substructures
using ls and cd within the browser? Probably work is
already planned in that direction, but in the meantime it would
already be handy to be able to flush the data to a file, and
then inspect it with external tools of whatever kind (prolog would
come handy)?
So in fact, what would be great within the browser would be
	ls > mdev.output
With parameters set high enough, mdev.output could then contain
the whole dump of whatever variable I was browsing in...

Or is this already possible?

Bye bye,
Nancy

PS: the typical thing I'd like to be able to do is to inspect
a given list, and try to find out its length. I would love to
be able to invoke something like list__length(HeadVar__1, L).
Or am I missing something, and is this possible already?