[m-dev.] agenda for mercury meeting

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Sun Nov 12 01:04:14 AEDT 2000

On 11-Nov-2000, schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU <schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> >     - discussion of stream library and what to do with it
>
> It might be better to hold off including any new type class-based
> libraries until all (or at least many) of them are at least designed.
> We'll want to have a hierarchy of type classes, which means they should
> really be designed together and introduced in one grand library mark 2
> (like STL for C++).  For example, I think streams should be a
> specialization of sequences, so any operations on sequences will work
> for streams.

I agree with that comment as far as inclusion in the standard library goes.
But I think it that once it passes code review it would be fine to
include it in the `extras' distribution.  Doing so will help us to get
some experience with it.

Designing a whole library all at once is too hard; we need to do it
piece by piece, eventually revisiting and revising each piece as
necessary so that they fit into a coherent whole.

Anyway Pete, as far as the streams library goes, I think the ball is
currently in your court... I'm eagerly awaiting the next version which
addresses the comments in the previous review, e.g. using abstract
types rather than existential types.