[m-dev.] new testing schedule

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Jan 19 06:49:49 AEDT 2000

On 18-Jan-2000, Peter Ross <petdr at cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
> I believe that our current testing pattern has a couple of limitations,
> now that we have a 0_9_x branch.
>
> I suggest that we make the following changes:
>     * get the sysads to create a new user, mercury, which is responsible
>       for running all the cron jobs.  The home directory for this user
>       should be /home/mercury, this should allow anyone to administer
>       the testing

That sounds like a good idea.

>     * update the testing schedule so that the 0_9_x branch gets tested
>       on a different architecture every night.
>     * adjust our current testing schedule to allow the 0_9_x branch
>       tests to run.

Currently I have been running tests on 0_9_x on murlibobo (nightly),
hydra (mightly), hg (nightly), taifun (weekly), and munta (weekly), and
tests on the main branch only on quicksilver (nightly or thereabouts).
My expectation was that we would release 0.9.1 fairly soon, after
which we can revert back to just testing the main branch.

The current situation where the main branch is not being regularly
tested on lots of architectures is defintely problematic, but the idea
is that it shouldn't last long.