[m-dev.] mmake realclean in the runtime directory

Warwick Harvey wharvey at cs.monash.edu.au
Fri Aug 20 16:01:57 AEST 1999

Mark Brown wrote:
> Zoltan Somogyi writes:
> >
> > The realclean target now depends on realclean_local and thus on clean_local,
> > but does not depend on the clean target. Is this intentional?
>
> Yes (although it might not be correct).  The plan was that any extra
> things that need to be cleaned should be made dependencies of `clean_local'.
> That way they will be performed by both `clean' and `realclean'.

Really?  I thought the intention was so that you could define your own
_rule_ (set of commands) for `clean', without losing the existing rule
(since Make only allows one for each target).

> I think that this could be fixed by changing the line
>
> 	clean: clean_o clean_check
>
> in runtime/Mmakefile to
>
> 	clean_local: clean_o clean_check
>
> .

Yes, this fixes this particular example, but I didn't think the user was
supposed to know about/tamper with the local targets...  (Of course in the
runtime directory it hardly matters since there are no Mercury source files.)

Warwick